Monday, March 22, 2010

The Latin Scientist

An elderly man in an adventure hat (think Indiana Jones) approached my counter and expressed interest in learning Latin. As explained that we offer a 3-level program he said, “Well, I’m beyond level 1 for sure- I know all about botany.” At that head-scratching comment I thought it may be helpful to show him the level-by-level content sheet. He was shocked by what he saw. “This isn’t scientific! I love SCIENCE, NOT CLOTHES! What clothes does it even teach you, huh? What clothes do Latins wear, huh?” I explained that it would teach you basic clothing- pants, blouse, t shirt, shoes, and before I could go on (sweater! dress! skirt!) he interrupted in disgust.

“Shoes?! Who cares about SHOES?! I’m going to hire a tutor to teach me scientific Latin. ‘Shoes’ (*scoff*), I don’t even wear shoes most of the time. In fact, when I’m home I walk around naked, so I don’t need to learn how to talk about clothing in Latin, no I go n aked, and I save money that way.”

“…well sir, it sounds like our program may not be right for you….”

No comments:

Post a Comment