Monday, January 3, 2011

2010

2010 was a great year for me. It was my first stab at sedentary domestic life. Out of the van, off the greyhound, in one city, working full time, doing what for other people is normal life. It had a fun game-like quality to it, like I jumped in mid-round and had to figure out the rules as I went. Riding public transportation to work, upgrading my outdated kitchen gadgets, watching television shows weekly. How strange! How fun!

But try as I may have to throw myself into my new found house mousiness, I couldn't. Not completely. It's near impossible to put down roots when you've planted yourself in a suitcase. I may sit at my nice new golden yellow desk writing to my heart's content, knowing if the sun setting on the bodega across the street is more beautiful than it was the day before, but every few minutes I stop and look at the photo beside me. I took it a year and a half ago on tour. The top half of the photo is a cloudless blue sky, the bottom an open highway with one tiny little car far, far in the distance.

All year I've had one foot out the door pulling desperately at the rest of my body to follow. I've felt it in everything I've done. Nothing seems to convince me that I'm not just passing through- not my lease, not my knowing local subway stop employees... and them knowing me, not my weekly rituals, not my frequency at Wednesday $6 movie nights at the Ritz. Deep inside me a sing songy voice compels that foot to move, to pull, to remain unconvinced.

I don't live here, I'm just playing. I'm just passing through, I'm not staying.

And of course it's true. 2011 is a year of travel and adventure. Good thing my roots didn't/couldn't/wouldn't take hold.

But this isn't about the future, this is about the past. I really did enjoy my time here at home. Here are my personal highlights of 2010:

Books
#1 Pick:
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
My Life and Other Unfinished Business by Dolly Parton
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
Holy Cow by Sarah Macdonald
Disposable People by Kevin Bales
On Writing by Stephen King

Movies
#1 pick
Micmacs
The Extra Man
A Woman, a Gun, A Noodle Shop
The Good, The Bad, and The Weird
Salt
Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work

Shows
This Is Hardcore... duhhhh. Specifically Clubber Lang, Bulldoze, Bane, and Ink and Dagger
100 Demons and Wisdom in Chains @  The Barbary
Earth Crisis and Strength For A Reason @ The Barbary
Bastard Noise @ Kung Fu Neck Tie
Crowbar @ The Barbary
Hour of the Wolf @ Broad St Ministries
Floorpunch @ The Church

Other
My Audible.com membership is my #1 favorite thing of the year
Free old time radio podcasts, especially"old time radio sci fi"
Selected Shorts and The Moth podcasts
Outlook's 7"


No comments:

Post a Comment